Comments

If you have a question or like to say something in connection with the Post, you can put it as a Comment. And other people can answer. Please hold ‘our goal ’in reacting: coming together in Love the Love of Yeshuah Rabbeinu our Messiah. Yeshuath YHWH.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Vayigash

Parashah Vayigash:
Torah: Gen 44:18-47:27
Haftorah: Ezek 37:15-37:28
Suggested HaBerith HaChadashah Reading: Eph 2:1-10
Gen 44:18-34  And Yehuḏah came near to him and said, “O my master, please let your servant speak a word in my master’s hearing, and do not let your displeasure burn against your servant, for you are like Pharaoh.
19  “My master asked his servants, saying, ‘Have you a father or a brother?’
20  “And we said to my master, ‘We have a father, an old man, and a young child of his old age, and his brother is dead, and he alone is left of his mother’s children, and his father loves him.’
21  “And you said to your servants, ‘Bring him down to me, and let me set my eyes on him.’
22  “And we said to my master, ‘The boy is not able to leave his father, for if he leaves his father, his father shall die.’
23  “But you said to your servants, ‘Unless your youngest brother comes down with you, you do not see my face again.’
24  “And it came to be, when we went up to your servant my father, that we told him the words of my master.
25  “And our father said, ‘Go back and buy us a little food.’
26  “But we said, ‘We are not able to go down. If our youngest brother is with us, then we shall go down, for we are not able to see the man’s face unless our youngest brother is with us.’
27  “Then your servant my father said to us, ‘You know that my wife bore me two sons,
28  and the one went out from me, and I said, “Truly, he is torn, torn to pieces!” And I have not seen him since.
29  ‘And if you take this one from me too, and harm comes to him, you shall bring down my grey hair with evil to the grave.’
30  “And now, if I come to your servant my father and the boy is not with us – since his own life is bound up in his life –
Second
31  then it shall be, when he sees that the boy is not with us, that he shall die. So your servants shall bring down the grey hair of your servant our father with evil to the grave.
32  “For your servant went guaranty for the boy to my father, saying, ‘If I do not bring him back to you, then I shall be a sinner before my father forever.’
33  “And now, please let your servant remain instead of the boy as a slave to my master, and let the boy go up with his brothers.
34  “For how do I go up to my father if the boy is not with me, lest I see the evil that would come upon my father?”

Gen 45:1-28  And Yosĕph was unable to restrain himself before all those who stood by him, and he called out, “Have everyone go out from me!” So no one stood with him while Yosĕph made himself known to his brothers.
2  And he wept aloud, and the Mitsrites and the house of Pharaoh heard it.
3  And Yosĕph said to his brothers, “I am Yosĕph, is my father still alive?” But his brothers were unable to answer him, for they trembled before him.
4  Then Yosĕph said to his brothers, “Please come near to me.” And when they came near, he said, “I am Yosĕph your brother, whom you sold into Mitsrayim.
5  “And now, do not be grieved nor displeased with yourselves because you sold me here, for Elohim sent me before you to preserve life.
6  “For two years now the scarcity of food has been in the land, and there are still five years in which there is neither ploughing nor harvesting.
7  “And Elohim sent me before you to preserve for you a remnant in the earth, and to give life to you by a great escape.
Third
8  “So then, you did not send me here, but Elohim. And He has set me for a father to Pharaoh, and master of all his house, and a ruler throughout all the land of Mitsrayim.
9  “Hurry and go up to my father, and say to him, ‘Thus says your son Yosĕph, “Elohim has made me master of all Mitsrayim. Come down to me, do not delay.
10  “And you shall dwell in the land of Goshen, and be near to me, you and your children, your children’s children, your flocks and your herds, and all that you have.
11  “And I shall provide for you there, lest you and your household, and all that you have, come to poverty, because five years of scarcity of food are still to come.” ’
12  “And look, your eyes and the eyes of my brother Binyamin see that it is my mouth that speaks to you.
13  “And you shall inform my father of all my esteem in Mitsrayim, and of all that you have seen. And you shall hurry and bring my father down here.”
14  And he fell on his brother Binyamin’s neck and wept, and Binyamin wept on his neck.
15  And he kissed all his brothers and wept over them, and after that his brothers spoke with him.
16  And the report of it was heard by the house of Pharaoh, saying, “The brothers of Yosĕph have come.” And it was good in the eyes of Pharaoh and in the eyes of his servants.
17  And Pharaoh said to Yosĕph, “Say to your brothers, ‘Do this: Load your beasts and go, enter the land of Kenaʽan,
18  and take your father and your households and come to me, and I give you the best of the land of Mitsrayim, and you eat the fat of the land.
Fourth
19  ‘And you, you have been commanded, do this: Take wagons out of the land of Mitsrayim for your little ones and your wives. And you shall bring your father, and come.
20  ‘And do not be concerned about your goods, for the best of all the land of Mitsrayim is yours.’ ”
21  And the sons of Yisra’ĕl did so. And Yosĕph gave them wagons, according to the command of Pharaoh, and he gave them food for the journey.
22  He gave to all of them, to each man, changes of garments, but to Binyamin he gave three hundred pieces of silver and five changes of garments.
23  And he sent to his father this: ten donkeys loaded with the best of Mitsrayim, and ten female donkeys loaded with grain, and bread, and food for his father for the journey.
24  So he sent his brothers away, and they left. And he said to them, “Do not quarrel along the way.”
25  And they went up out of Mitsrayim, and came to the land of Kenaʽan to Yaʽaqoḇ their father.
26  And they told him, saying, “Yosĕph is still alive, and he is governor over all the land of Mitsrayim.” And Yaʽaqoḇ’s heart ceased, for he did not believe them.
27  But when they spoke to him all the words which Yosĕph had spoken to them, and when he saw the wagons which Yosĕph had sent to transport him, the spirit of Yaʽaqoḇ their father revived.
Fifth
28  And Yisra’ĕl said, “Enough! My son Yosĕph is still alive. Let me go and see him before I die.”

Gen 46:1-34  And Yisra’ĕl set out with all that he had, and came to Be’ĕrsheḇa, and brought offerings to the Elohim of his father Yitsḥaq.
2  And Elohim spoke to Yisra’ĕl in the visions of the night, and said, “Yaʽaqoḇ, Yaʽaqoḇ!” And he said, “Here I am.”
3  And He said, “I am the Ěl, Elohim of your father. Do not be afraid to go down to Mitsrayim, for I shall make you there into a great nation.
4  “I Myself am going down with you to Mitsrayim and I Myself shall certainly bring you up again. And let Yosĕph put his hand on your eyes.”
5  And Yaʽaqoḇ rose up from Be’ĕrsheḇa. And the sons of Yisra’ĕl brought their father Yaʽaqoḇ, and their little ones, and their wives, in the wagons which Pharaoh had sent to transport him.
6  And they took their livestock and their property which they had acquired in the land of Kenaʽan, and came into Mitsrayim, Yaʽaqoḇ and all his seed with him.
7  His sons and his sons’ sons, his daughters and his sons’ daughters, and all his seed he brought with him to Mitsrayim.
8  And these were the names of the children of Yisra’ĕl, Yaʽaqoḇ and his sons, who came into Mitsrayim: Re’uḇĕn was Yaʽaqoḇ’s first-born.
9  And the sons of Re’uḇĕn: Ḥanoḵ, and Pallu, and Ḥetsron, and Karmi.
10  And the sons of Shimʽon: Yemu’ĕl, and Yamin, and Ohaḏ, and Yaḵin, and Tsoḥar, and Sha’ul, son of a Kenaʽanite woman.
11  And the sons of Lĕwi: Gĕreshon, Qehath, and Merari.
12  And the sons of Yehuḏah: Ěr, and Onan, and Shĕlah, and Perets, and Zeraḥ – but Ěr and Onan died in the land of Kenaʽan. And the sons of Perets were Ḥetsron and Ḥamul.
13  And the sons of Yissasḵar: Tola, and Puwʽah, and Yoḇ, and Shimron.
14  And the sons of Zeḇulun: Sereḏ, and Ělon, and Yaḥle’ĕl.
15  These were the sons of Lĕ’ah, whom she bore to Yaʽaqoḇ in Paddan Aram, with his daughter Dinah. All the beings, his sons and his daughters, were thirty-three.
16  And the sons of Gaḏ: Tsiphyon and Ḥaggi, Shuni and Etsbon, Ěri and Aroḏi, and Arĕli.
17  And the sons of Ashĕr: Yimnah, and Yishwah, and Yishwi, and Beriʽah, and Seraḥ, their sister. And the sons of Beriʽah: Ḥeḇer and Malki’ĕl.
18  These were the sons of Zilpah, whom Laḇan gave to Lĕ’ah his daughter. And these she bore to Yaʽaqoḇ: sixteen beings.
19  The sons of Raḥĕl, Yaʽaqoḇ’s wife: Yosĕph and Binyamin.
20  And to Yosĕph in the land of Mitsrayim were born Menashsheh and Ephrayim, whom Asenath, the daughter of Poti-Pherah priest of On, bore to him.
21  And the sons of Binyamin: Belah, and Beḵer, and Ashbĕl, Gĕra and Naʽaman, Ěḥi and Rosh, Muppim and Ḥuppim, and Ard.
22  These were the sons of Raḥĕl who were born to Yaʽaqoḇ: fourteen beings in all.
23  And the son of Dan: Ḥushim.
24  And the sons of Naphtali: Yaḥtse’ĕl, and Guni, and Yĕtser, and Shillĕm.
25  These were the sons of Bilhah, whom Laḇan gave to Raḥĕl his daughter, and she bore these to Yaʽaqoḇ: seven beings in all.
26  All the beings who went with Yaʽaqoḇ to Mitsrayim, who came from his body, besides Yaʽaqoḇ’s sons’ wives, were sixty-six beings in all.
27  And the sons of Yosĕph who were born to him in Mitsrayim were two beings. All the beings of the house of Yaʽaqoḇ who went to Mitsrayim were seventy.
Sixth
28  And he sent Yehuḏah before him to Yosĕph, to point out before him the way to Goshen. And they came to the land of Goshen.
29  And Yosĕph made ready his chariot and went up to Goshen to meet his father Yisra’ĕl. And he appeared to him, and fell on his neck and wept on his neck a long time.
30  And Yisra’ĕl said to Yosĕph, “Now let me die, since I have seen your face, that you are still alive.”
31  And Yosĕph said to his brothers and to his father’s household, “I am going up to inform Pharaoh, and say to him, ‘My brothers and those of my father’s house, who were in the land of Kenaʽan, have come to me.
32  ‘And the men are shepherds, that they have been men of livestock, and they have brought their flocks and their herds, and all that they have.’
33  “And it shall be, when Pharaoh calls you and says, ‘What is your occupation?’
34  that you shall say, ‘Your servants have been men of livestock from our youth even till now, both we and also our fathers,’ so that you dwell in the land of Goshen, for every shepherd is an abomination to the Mitsrites.”

Gen 47:1-27  Then Yosĕph went and spoke to Pharaoh, and said, “My father and my brothers, their flocks and their herds and all that they possess, have come from the land of Kenaʽan. And see, they are in the land of Goshen.”
2  And he took five men from among his brothers and presented them to Pharaoh.
3  And Pharaoh said to his brothers, “What is your occupation?” And they said to Pharaoh, “Your servants are shepherds, both we and also our fathers.”
4  And they said to Pharaoh, “We have come to dwell in the land, because there is no pasture for your servant’s flocks, for the scarcity of food is severe in the land of Kenaʽan. And now, please let your servants dwell in the land of Goshen.”
5  And Pharaoh spoke to Yosĕph, saying, “Your father and your brothers have come to you.
6  “The land of Mitsrayim is before you. Settle your father and brothers in the best of the land, let them dwell in the land of Goshen. And if you know of capable men among them, then make them chief herdsmen over my livestock.”
7  And Yosĕph brought in his father Yaʽaqoḇ and set him before Pharaoh. And Yaʽaqoḇ blessed Pharaoh.
8  And Pharaoh said to Yaʽaqoḇ, “How old are you?”
9  And Yaʽaqoḇ said to Pharaoh, “The days of the years of my sojournings are one hundred and thirty years. Few and evil have been the days of the years of my life, and they have not reached the days of the years of the life of my fathers in the days of their sojournings.”
10  And Yaʽaqoḇ blessed Pharaoh, and went out from before Pharaoh.
Seventh
11  So Yosĕph settled his father and his brothers, and gave them a possession in the land of Mitsrayim, in the best of the land, in the land of Raʽmeses, as Pharaoh had commanded.
12  And Yosĕph provided his father, and his brothers, and all his father’s household with bread for the mouth of the little ones.
13  Now there was no bread in all the land, because the scarcity of food was very severe, and the land of Mitsrayim and all the land of Kenaʽan became exhausted from the scarcity of food.
14  And Yosĕph gathered up all the silver that was found in the land of Mitsrayim and in the land of Kenaʽan, for the grain which they bought. And Yosĕph brought the silver into Pharaoh’s house.
15  And when the silver was all spent in the land of Mitsrayim and in the land of Kenaʽan, all the Mitsrites came to Yosĕph and said, “Give us bread, for why should we die in your presence? For the silver is gone!”
16  And Yosĕph said, “Give your livestock, and I give you bread for your livestock, if the silver is gone.”
17  So they brought their livestock to Yosĕph, and Yosĕph gave them bread in exchange for the horses, and for the flocks they owned, and for the herds they owned, and for the donkeys. Thus he fed them with bread in exchange for all their livestock that year.
18  And when that year had ended, they came to him the next year and said to him, “We do not hide from my master that our silver is all spent, and my master also has the livestock we owned. There has not any been left before my master but our bodies and our lands.
19  “Why should we die before your eyes, both we and our land? Buy us and our land for bread, and let us and our land be servants of Pharaoh. And give us seed, and let us live and not die, and let the land not lie waste.”
20  And Yosĕph bought the entire land of Mitsrayim for Pharaoh, because every man of the Mitsrites sold his field, because the scarcity of food was severe upon them. And the land came to be Pharaoh’s.
21  And as for the people, he moved them into the cities, from one end of the borders of Mitsrayim to the other end.
22  Only the ground of the priests he did not buy, for the priests had portions allotted to them by Pharaoh, and they ate their portions which Pharaoh gave them. Therefore they did not sell their ground.
23  And Yosĕph said to the people, “Look, I have bought you and your land today for Pharaoh. Look, here is seed for you, and you shall sow the land.
24  “And it shall be that in the harvest you shall give one-fifth to Pharaoh. And four-fifths is your own, as seed for the field and for your food, for those of your households and as food for your little ones.”
Maftier
25  And they said, “You have saved our lives. Let us find favour in the eyes of my master, and we shall become Pharaoh’s servants.”
26  And Yosĕph made it a law over the land of Mitsrayim to this day, that Pharaoh should have one-fifth, except for the ground of the priests only, which did not become Pharaoh’s.
27  And Yisra’ĕl dwelt in the land of Mitsrayim, in the land of Goshen. And they had possessions there and bore fruit and increased exceedingly.


Haftorah: Ezek 37:15-28
Ezek 37:15-28  And the word of יהוה came to me, saying,
16  “And you, son of man, take a stick for yourself and write on it, ‘For Yehuḏah and for the children of Yisra’ĕl, his companions.’ Then take another stick and write on it, ‘For Yosĕph, the stick of Ephrayim, and for all the house of Yisra’ĕl, his companions.’
17  “Then bring them together for yourself into one stick, and they shall become one in your hand.
18  “And when the children of your people speak to you, saying, ‘Won’t you show us what you mean by these?’
19  say to them, ‘Thus said the Master יהוה, “See, I am taking the stick of Yosĕph, which is in the hand of Ephrayim, and the tribes of Yisra’ĕl, his companions. And I shall give them unto him, with the stick of Yehuḏah, and make them one stick, and they shall be one in My hand.” ’
20  “And the sticks on which you write shall be in your hand before their eyes.
21  “And speak to them, ‘Thus said the Master יהוה, “See, I am taking the children of Yisra’ĕl from among the gentiles, wherever they have gone, and shall gather them from all around, and I shall bring them into their land.
22  “And I shall make them one nation in the land, on the mountains of Yisra’ĕl. And one sovereign shall be sovereign over them all, and let them no longer be two nations, and let them no longer be divided into two reigns.
23  “And they shall no longer defile themselves with their idols, nor with their disgusting matters, nor with any of their transgressions. And I shall save them from all their dwelling places in which they have sinned, and I shall cleanse them. And they shall be My people, and I be their Elohim,
24  while Dawiḏ My servant is sovereign over them. And they shall all have one shepherd and walk in My right-rulings and guard My laws, and shall do them.
25  “And they shall dwell in the land that I have given to Yaʽaqoḇ My servant, where your fathers dwelt. And they shall dwell in it, they and their children and their children’s children, forever, and My servant Dawiḏ be their prince forever.
26  “And I shall make a covenant of peace with them – an everlasting covenant it is with them. And I shall place them and increase them, and shall place My set-apart place in their midst, forever.
27  “And My Dwelling Place shall be over them. And I shall be their Elohim, and they shall be My people.
28  “And the gentiles shall know that I, יהוה, am setting Yisra’ĕl apart, when My set-apart place is in their midst – forever.” ’ ”

Suggested HaBerith HaChadashah Reading: Eph 2:1-10
Eph 2:1-10  And you were dead in trespasses and sins,1 Footnote: 1v.5 and 5:14, Mt. 8:22, Rom. 8:6, Col. 2:13, 1 Tim. 5:6, 1 John 3:14, Rev. 3:1.
2  in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the ruler of the authority of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience,1 Footnote: 1Eph. 5:6, Col. 3:6.
3  among whom also we all once lived in the lusts of our flesh, doing the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, as also the rest.
4  But Elohim, who is rich in compassion, because of His great love with which He loved us,
5  even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Messiah – by favour you have been saved –
6  and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenlies in Messiah יהושע,
7  in order to show in the coming ages the exceeding riches of His favour in kindness toward us in Messiah יהושע.
8  For by favour you have been saved, through belief, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of Elohim,
9  it is not by works, so that no one should boast.
10  For we are His workmanship, created in Messiah יהושע unto good works, which Elohim prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
"Scripture taken from The Scriptures, Copyright by Institute for Scripture Research. Used by permission" On the whole of this website. For more information click [Here]



Vayigash Aliya Summary
General Overview: In this week's Torah treading, Vayigash, Judah responds to Joseph's demand that Benjamin remain enslaved in Egypt, pleading to be taken as a substitute. Joseph reveals his identity to his brothers. At Joseph's request, Jacob and his family come down to Egypt.

First Aliyah: In the end of last week's Torah reading, Joseph demanded that Benjamin remain behind in Egypt as his slave. This week's reading opens with Judah approaching Joseph and appealed to him to allow Benjamin to return to his father Jacob in Canaan. He spoke of Jacob's reluctance to allow Benjamin – Rachel's only remaining child – to make the trip to Egypt, and the great love Jacob harbored for his youngest son.

Second Aliyah: Judah continued: "When [Jacob] sees that the boy is gone, he will die." He explained to Joseph that he, Judah, had taken personal responsibility that Benjamin would return unharmed to Canaan. And as such, he asked to remain as a slave in stead of Benjamin. At that point, Joseph could not restrain himself any longer. He asked all the Egyptians present to leave the room, and he revealed his identity to his brothers: "I am Joseph! Is my father still alive?!" He then reassured them, and asked them not to be upset about selling him into slavery: "For it was to preserve life that G‑d sent me before you. For . . . another five years there will be neither plowing nor harvest, and G‑d sent me before you to ensure your survival in the land..."

Third Aliyah: Joseph directed his brothers to quickly return to Canaan and bring Jacob and their families back to Egypt, where Joseph promised to provide them with food until the famine ends. Joseph embraced his brothers and cried. Pharaoh was informed that Joseph's family had arrived, and he, too, instructed them to come to Egypt where he would give them the "best of the land." The brothers went to Canaan – laden with gifts from Pharaoh and Joseph – and informed Jacob that Joseph was alive, indeed he ruled over all of Egypt. "And the spirit of their father Jacob was revived."

Fourth Aliyah: Jacob and his entire family left Canaan and headed to Egypt. En route they stopped in Beersheba, where G‑d told Jacob not to fear going to Egypt, for it is there that he will be made into a great nation. Furthermore G‑d told him: "I will go down with you to Egypt, and I will also bring you up."

Fifth Aliyah: This section names the seventy members of Jacob's family that went to Egypt.

Sixth Aliyah: Jacob arrived in Egypt, to the province of Goshen that Pharaoh had allotted his family. Joseph went there to greet his father. Joseph prepared his family for meeting Pharaoh, and instructed his brothers to tell Pharaoh that they are shepherds, who only wish to tend to their flocks in Goshen until the famine ends. Indeed the brothers followed this script, and Pharaoh acceded to their request. Jacob was then brought before Pharaoh, and Jacob blessed him.

Seventh Aliyah: While Joseph supplied his family with food, the rest of Egypt was in a desperate plight. First they expended all their money in exchange for food that Joseph sold them. Then their money ran out, and they paid for provisions with their cattle. Finally, when they had no money or chattel left, they sold their land and themselves to Pharaoh into servitude in exchange for provisions. Meanwhile, in the land of Goshen, Jacob's family prospered and multiplied exceedingly.
© 2001-2010 Chabad-Lubavitch Media Center

No comments:

Post a Comment